Research Fellow & Program Officer
The Institute for China-America Studies, a think-tank focused on the bilateral US-China relationship, is looking for a Research Fellow to fill a variety of research, editorial, and program management roles.
Based in the heart of downtown Washington, DC, ICAS is uniquely situated to serve as a bridge to facilitate the exchange of ideas and people between China and the United States. It achieves this through research and partnerships with institutions in both countries that bring together Chinese and American scholars and policy practitioners to provide a window into their respective worldviews. ICAS focuses on key issue areas in the US-China relationship in need of greater mutual understanding and cooperation in the spheres of Asia-Pacific maritime, economics, trade, international relations as well as global governance issues, and explores the possible futures for this critical bilateral relationship.
A successful candidate will:
- Pursue a self-directed research agenda with a view to producing topical and relevant reports, op-eds and related short-form commentary
- Provide research and editorial support for senior ICAS scholars
- Represent ICAS as a scholar or rapporteur at conferences, roundtables, and other events
- Oversee and edit ICAS’s periodical survey bulletin of scholarship on US-China relations
- Oversee the ICAS website, maintain ICAS’s social media presence and promote its visibility as a young and rising think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Select and manage ICAS’s interns
Candidates should possess a PhD (or be currently working on a dissertation) in International Relations, Asian Studies or Security Studies, OR possess an MA in one of these fields with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a think tank or government environment.
Required Skills and experience:
- Native-level proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience producing and editing scholarly work
- A proven record of interest in US-China relations
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with WordPress
- Professional-level proficiency in Mandarin
- Experience living and working in China
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter and resume or CV to through the form below. The application deadline is April 10, 2017.
ICAS is an equal-opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.