Christopher John Jenner is First Sea Lord Fellow and Research Associate, Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge; Research Fellow, King’s College London; and Senior Research Fellow, Institute for China-America Studies. He holds Master of Studies and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Modern History from the University of Oxford.
Dr Jenner’s historiographical work has been recognised with various awards and fellowships: Economic and Social Research Council Fellow, University of Oxford; Research Fellow, Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies, Joint Services Command and Staff College, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom; Research Fellow, New England Centre for Homeless Veterans; Research Fellow, St Cross College, University of Oxford; Research and Teaching Fellow, University of London; Research Fellow, University of Massachusetts; Research Fellow, William Joiner Institute for the Study of War and Social Consequences; and Visiting Research Fellow, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam (Học viện Ngoại giao Việt Nam), Hanoi.
In addition to his academic work, Dr Jenner undertakes governmental analytical commissions, and has contributed to award-winning international television series.
▪ “International Threat-making in a Semi-Enclosed Sea: An Empirical Survey of Challenges to Cooperation in the South China Sea,” in Shen, G., and K. Zou, eds., Maritime Cooperation in Semi-Enclosed Seas: Asian and European Experiences (Leiden, forthcoming in 2018).
▪ “History, Strategy and the South China Sea,” in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
▪ “Domestic Politics: The Overlooked Under-current in the South China Sea,” with Nguyễn Hùng Sơn, in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
▪ “Sino-American Rivalry in the South China Sea: Is it Time to Form a Maritime Middle Power Cooperative?” with Sukjoon Yoon, in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
▪ “Engaging the Changing Order in South-East Asia,” Journal of International Studies [Tạp chí Nghiên cứu Quốc tế], 32 (June 2015).
▪ “Trật Tự Đang Thay Đông ở Nam Á,” [Order and Change in South-East Asia] Tạp chí Các vấn đề Quốc tế [Journal of International Affairs], Tài liệu Tham khảo Đặc biệt (February 2015).
▪ “Making Peace in Hà Nội and Washington: General John W. Vessey’s Presidential Emissaryship to Việt Nam, 1987-94” in Diplomats at War: The American Experience, editors Stewart, A. and Rofe, J. S. (Dordrecht, 2013).