Christopher John Jenner is founder and Chair of the ASEAN–UK Forum; Research Fellow, Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies, King’s College London; Research Fellow, Joint Services Command and Staff College, The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom; and Senior Fellow, Institute for China-America Studies. He holds Master of Studies and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Modern History from the University of Oxford.
The extraordinary quality of Dr Jenner’s historiographical work has been recognised with prestigious awards including an Economic and Social Research Council Fellowship, which he held at Oxford University, 2011-13, and a First Sea Lord Fellowship, which commenced in 2016. He has held academic posts at the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, New England Centre for Homeless Veterans, University of London, University of Massachusetts, University of Oxford, and the William Joiner Centre for the Study of War and Social Consequences.
In addition to his academic work, Dr Jenner undertakes governmental analytical assignments, and has contributed to award-winning international television documentary series.
- “International Threat-making in a Semi-enclosed Sea: An Empirical Survey of Challenges to Cooperation in the South China Sea,” in Shen, G., and K. Zou, eds., Maritime Cooperation in Semi-Enclosed Seas: Asian and European Experiences (Leiden, forthcoming in 2017).
- “History, Strategy and the South China Sea,” in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
- “Domestic Politics: The Overlooked Under-current in the South China Sea,” with Nguyễn Hùng Sơn, in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
- “Sino-American Rivalry in the South China Sea: Is it Time to Form a Maritime Middle Power Cooperative?” with Sukjoon Yoon, in Jenner, C. J., ed., The South China Sea: A Crucible of Regional Cooperation or Conflict-making Sovereignty Claims? (Cambridge, 2016).
- “Engaging the Changing Order in South-East Asia,” Journal of International Studies [Tạp chí Nghiên cứu Quốc tế], 32 (June 2015).
- “Trật Tự Đang Thay Đông ở Nam Á,” [Order and Change in South-East Asia] Tạp chí Các vấn đề Quốc tế [Journal of International Affairs], Tài liệu Tham khảo Đặc biệt (February 2015).
- “Making Peace in Hà Nội and Washington: General John W. Vessey’s Presidential Emissaryship to Việt Nam, 1987-94” in Diplomats at War: The American Experience, editors Stewart, A. and Rofe, J. S. (Dordrecht, 2013).